Friday, March 8, 2024

Inskip Point, Rainbow Beach


Check my birding map for specific location.

Rainbow Beach and Inskip Point in particular are just stunning places. You know you are onto something good when there are 5-6 National Park campsites in such a small area and the one we stayed at (M.V. Sarawak) had an incredible 500 spaces. It was pretty empty when we visited and we were grateful for that. 500 sets of campers is a lot of pressure on a few bush toilets!

My first find was a Mangrove Honeyeater and I was thrilled. I have only seen this bird once before, in thick mangrove. I was surprised to see it in open woodland but there was no mistaking the warbling call and facial markings.

Mangrove Honeyeater

As I continued to walk north towards Inskip Point itself I saw some Australasian Figbirds. In Far North Queensland, the male birds are bright yellow and so I was delighted to see this olive green and grey birds.

Male Australasian Figbird

Our first spot on the beach were a pair of Beach Stone Curlew. These are fabulous birds and we hung around until they were comfortable with us and the sun was shining. I have plenty of photos of them from Cairns but never in bright light like this. It was really special.

Beach Stone Curlew



Unfortunately and much to my surprise, the birds were disturbed by a convoy of loud and fast 4WD vehicles tearing up the beach. Turns out, the sand spit at the point is where the ferry over to K'gari Fraser Island leaves from. You can see the island at the top of the map below. It was not a usual ferry, with a terminal building. Vehicles drive up the beach and drive straight on to the ferry that is beached. 


There were other sand bars dotted around with lots of shorebirds on them but some terns braved the thoroughfare and we got close to some of them. They were very beautiful.

Caspian Tern

Great Crest Tern

eBird Lists



No comments:

Post a Comment