Friday, March 8, 2024

Kumbia

Check my birding map for specific location.

Kumbia is a tiny village of only around 200-300 residents. The main road through it is quite busy as a main trunk route but it is quiet and peaceful away from it. I was house sitting here and loved walking the streets early in the morning. The birds had changed from further north in Queensland and it was really nice to see them. My first success was seeing a young Australian King-Parrot just outside the house.

Australian King-Parrot

Sitting on the power lines were Dollarbirds and I regularly saw 3-4 on the daily dog walking route. It was an unusual opportunity to get close to them. I've not used a dog as a disguise before but the birds didn't seem to register me as a bird watcher!

Dollarbird

Another new species was the Superb Fairywren and although I have several hundred photos of them in my catalogue, I just couldn't resist. The male bird is blue and a glossy black across the head and back. Females and juveniles were close by as this bird collected food for them.

Male Superb Fairywren

I also visited Gordonbrook Dam which was close to Kingaroy to the east. There was only a small area close to the water that was open but with no-one else around, it was full of birds. On my first visit I flushed at least 4 Latham Snipe but didn't get any photos. There were lots of juvenile birds around and this young flycatcher was a treat to get close to.

Restless Flycatcher

There were lots of rosella and lorikeet feeding in the flowering gum trees but photography was a challenge on windy visits. Trawling the more wooded areas was more successful and the water contained many pelican and cormorants in the distance. There was plenty of noise from the smaller bush birds including from this young kingfisher hounding a nearby adult for some food.

Sacred Kingfisher

My favourite spot of my visits was a White-throated Gerygone. Their call is similar to the Grey Gerygone call of New Zealand which always makes me smile. It is the most brightly coloured of the Australian Gerygones. 

White-throated Gerygone

eBird Lists

No comments:

Post a Comment