Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Yamba

Check my birding map for specific location.




My partner Mark and I stopped at Evans Head on our way south. It was our first stop in New South Wales and I was treated to a fabulous lunch of crab rolls and beer. On to Yamba next and we headed for the beach. From a distance, we could see a lot of gulls sitting together but closer inspection yielded some terns as well. It has been a while since I had to creep towards birds on a beach but I was thrilled to see at least 3 species there.

The Great Crested Tern is a large bird, only a little smaller than the Caspian which is the biggest in the world. They are very striking in breeding plumage with a dark cap and crest. These birds were in non-breeding colours with a faded cap. Striking nonetheless.

Great Crested Tern

Contrasting to the Great Crested, was the Little Tern. These birds migrate to Australian shores to breed each year and this one is probably moulting out of breeding plumage. While it looks a similar size to the GCT, it is less than one third the size, making it one of the smallest species found in Australia.

Little Tern

Only slightly bigger than the Little Tern is the Common Tern. While they look very similar to the little in non-breeding plumage, they have dark legs and a shorter slope down the forehead.


After having my fill of terns, I wandered around the car park. Currawong, butcherbird, miners and honeyeaters were searching for food in the trees and on the ground. A large Water Dragon skulked around, dashing under cars when people or dogs got too close. Some shrubs were calling to me and in investigation, I found the Variegated Fairywren.

Male Variegated Fairywren

It is the male birds that are brightly coloured and often most hard to find. The young males look like the plain brown females and it is these birds that we see the most. They seem to be the bodyguards for the secretive adult male.

Female Variegated Fairywren

My last fairywren encounter was of a young male, moulting from the brown colour of the female to adult colours. Very interesting.


eBird List

No comments:

Post a Comment