Friday, September 23, 2022

Henbury Meteorites

 


Check my birding map for specific location.

So I am starting my journey south to Port Augusta. Now I have solar panels I am less tied to the caravan parks and I am aiming to stay at rest areas and national parks more. I usually plan and research very carefully the places I am going but I didn't for my first location on the Stuart Highway running into South Australia. I had heard that Henbury Meteorites was a possible spot for the Cinnamon Quail-thrush and that was all I needed to know. I booked through the National Parks website and set off. What I didn't realise was that to get to the site (which looks pretty close to the highway) you have to drive 15km on jarring corrugations on a gravel track. It was frustrating and painful. I definitely wouldn't have gone there if I had known (didn't get the quail-thrush either!). 

As it turned out I was glad I went to the campsite. The meteorites were mildly interesting but as usual it was the wildlife I was looking for. No romantic scenes of camel or emu on the horizon but a cracker opportunity to photograph more dragons. A Central Netted Dragon sat very obligingly for me on a rock perfectly framed by the deep orange earth. I just love this shot.

Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis)

While looking for the quail-thrush and more dragons on the road, I saw a pipit. I haven't seen too many until I explored south of Alice Springs and they are so endearing that I had to stop for it. The Red Centre provided a great background again.

Australasian Pipit (Anthus australis)

Once at the campsite I immediately headed off to have a look at the craters. The ubiquitous Zebra Finch flew all around me. Always makes you smile. It was fairly quiet bird-wise at the main attraction but in the tallest tree growing out of one of the craters was a pair of nesting hobby. I have never managed to get a decent shot of one so the challenge was on. The nest was near the top of the tree and the female was sitting in it, looking slightly dwarfed by it. Close by was the male looking very serious, on guard duty. I visited them a few times and it was always the same arrangement and despite the sun ALWAYS being in the wrong place for a perfect shot, I was pretty happy with what I got. The male was very interested in me so I was as quick as I could be and left them to it. Would love to get shots of the chicks - another one for the wish list.


Australian Hobby (Falco longipennis)

On the way out of the campsite I found a small dam and stopped to check it out. More finches and some Grey Teal were present and noisy but an obvious honeyeater in a far off tree caught my eye. As soon as I looked through the lens I knew it was a White-fronted Honeyeater. Another Lifer. I got an ID shot and moved on, cursing that bloody road. 

White-fronted Honeyeater (Phylidonyris albifrons)

Zebra Finch (Taeniopygia guttata)

eBird Lists

No comments:

Post a Comment