Monday, September 5, 2022

Kauri Creek Campground


Check my birding map for specific location.

I have visited Tinaroo a few times over the years and as ever, it is different at different times of the year. The last time I visited, a few years ago, I stayed around the main residential area. The water was low so the birds were concentrated. The highlight was a Red-capped Plover with 2 young chicks. I was able to watch them explore and then scurry back to the safety of mum's wings.

Red-capped Plover (Charadrius ruficapillus)

In 2022 I travelled further around the lake to Kauri Creek campground. It was quite busy as it was a holiday period but there was plenty of room. I parked up a little near the trees so I had a view but also could see the birds. I actually moved around the area as people departed and it was interesting that I saw different birds in different places. 

My first success was seeing the tiny Azure Kingfisher flying across a small neck of water separating the lake from a smaller pond. I watched for some time and tracked where it was landing. Once positioned I just waited and eventually it returned. This was my first good shot of this kingfisher and I really like it because usually the azure is scrunched up. This one, I think, was trying to look tall. Look at its tiny feet!

Azure Kingfisher (Ceyx azureus)

Wandering around the campsite were several Bush Stone Curlew and I never tire of watching or photographing them, they are so unusual. I found a pair of adults with this juvenile. They had taught it to be cryptic very well. 

Bush Stone Curlew (Burhinus grallarius)

In the trees above my first camping spot a Bridled Honeyeater regularly came. I have only seen them once so getting a good shot would be nice. Again, patience is the key and it helped that they were active and calling to each other a lot. 

Bridled Honeyeater (Bolemoreus frenatus)

In the rainforest behind the toilets (oh the glamour) I came across a pair of Chowchilla who are most unco-operative generally. It took a couple of quiet hours, fending off the mosquitos before I got any shot at all. 

Chowchilla (Orthonyx spaldingii)

One afternoon there was an almighty racket coming from a boat by the water. I knew it could only be the Laughing Kookaburra and went to investigate. Sure enough a juvenile had been given a Tilapia fish by its parent. The boatie told me it had stolen it from his bait catch. Well this young bird tried and tried to beat the fish into edible shape for 2 full hours and it cackled all the time. It sat on a tree branch and whacked it, on the boat and whacked it and on the ground and whacked it. Whatever it tried the fish would not yield. There were bits of it all over the place but the kookaburra could not get it into its mouth. Meantime, the adult (rather smugly I thought) had had several successful catches and was nursing a very full stomach. Eventually the youngster gave up and returned the fish to the parent. 

Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae)

While I was tracking kingfishers (there was also Sacred and Forest Kingfishers around), I noticed a gerygone nest. I am always looking out for them but they are so well disguised, it is difficult. As soon as I identified it, a Brown Gerygone returned to it. 2 birds with one stone (probably not the best idiom for a bird watcher I guess).


Brown Gerygone (Gerygone mouki)

The only downside about the lake at that time of year were the (M?)march flies. They were huge and very bitey. I could not shake them off. I even got bitten on the bum through 2 layers of clothing as I snoozed. Outrageous.  

eBird Lists

No comments:

Post a Comment