Thursday, September 1, 2022

Lake Proserpine Camping Area


Check my birding map for specific location.

I found the campground at Lake Proserpine as I normally do - looking for cheap places to stay on my journey. It is about 25km inland from Proserpine itself and the lady in the kiosk told me that the campground was generally quiet because people didn't want to make the detour. More fool them. I visited twice during May 2022 and loved it here.

The campsite is situated on the side of the lake and a volcanic looking mountain is visible on the far side. The area between the kiosk and the water was a mix of shade and open, cleared ground. There were a couple of small trees and signs which I thought might attract birds to perch on so I parked close to them. 

The scene itself is quite beautiful and very peaceful. I set up with a cup of tea and the back door of the van open facing the water. It was not long before I saw raptors circling. I could see lots of Black Kites in the open and Whistling Kites above the trees. To my surprise a Nankeen Kestrel landed on the sign post. I watched it as it in turn surveyed the area. 

Nankeen Kestrel (Falco cenchroides)

I had to put my tea down again when a Black Kite landed in the small tree. I walked slowly towards it and was thrilled to get photos showing its feathers in detail. 

Black Kite (Milvus migrans)

The Whistling Kite was no quite so co-operative but at least it was easy to find in the trees with its distinctive call. 

Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus)

One afternoon I sat in the shade of the van close to some low scrub and heard the bzzz-twit call of the Golden-headed Cisticola. Very difficult to see these birds in dense bush so I played a recording of its call and several popped up and sat in the warm sunshine. They were beautiful.

Golden-headed Cisticola (Cisticola exilis)

A real highlight of the area were the kingfishers. Not immediately visible but as I walked closer to the water and around it, I began to see them. First the Sacred on the pontoon, then the Forest in the trees and most special of all the Red-backed buzzing both of them. It took me a few days to get shots of all three but I was determined to earn my next cup of tea.

Forest Kingfisher (Todiramphus macleayii)

Red-backed Kingfisher (Todiramphus pyrrhopygius)

Sacred Kingfisher (Todiramphus sanctus)

 eBird Lists
https://ebird.org/australia/checklist/S111227449

No comments:

Post a Comment