Saturday, October 15, 2022

Centennial Park

Check my birding map for specific location. 

My cousin lives in Sydney and I have stayed with him on a number of occasions over the years and despite the urban sprawl, I have found the birding to be fantastic. One of the best places is Centennial Park in Randwick. I could spend days and days just wandering around there. I know I haven't seen the best of it yet and I look forward to getting back there soon.

There are several pools in the park and they are host to numerous waterbirds. Because it is a park and there are lots of people around, the birds tend to be quite tolerant, which is good. The 'bin chickens' are very common here. I think it is such a mean thing to call the Australian Ibis. If they are scavengers, it is because humans have made them so! Being from the UK and NZ, all Australian birds are wonderful and novel to me and I have loved watching these birds that locals deem to be feral. Familiarity really does breed contempt!

Australian White Ibis (Threskiornis molucca)

The Darter are also regular visitors here and in quieter parts of the park, you can sit and watch them quite easily. The so-called 'snake bird' are fascinating to anyone who has only seen cormorants before. 

Australian Darter (Anhina novaehollandiae)

The pelicans are not so shy and will flock in pools where there are lots of people. It is one of the few times that I have seen them in breeding plumage. This photo remains one of my favourites showing that bright eye and facial markings.

Australian Pelican (Peleccanus conspicillatus)

I was surprised to find a Cattle Egret feeding along the margins of one of the ponds on one visit. Usually very shy, this time it allowed me to watch it from a distance.

Eastern Cattle Egret (Bubulcus coromandus)

The Royal Spoonbill is another regular visitor and this cresty fellow has prominent facial markings indicating breeding plumage.

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia)

In the trees around the ponds are often different species of corella. These must be the most gregarious of the cockatoo family (and that's saying something). I have seen them wrestling on the ground, squabbling in the trees and zooming about like lunatics. Never boring with them around.

Little Corella (Cacatua sanguinea)

There are several areas of dense forest in the park and although it is difficult to find birds in them, when you do it is quite magic. Watching this Buff-banded Rail calling was very special.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis)

On one occasion, I knew there were frogmouth in one of these dense areas and it took me a long time to find them. Their cryptic nature makes them one of the most difficult birds to find, even when they are sitting out. I particularly liked how this chick looked as grumpy as the adults do!

Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)

The most incredible bird to be found in the park has to be the Powerful Owl. It is a huge beast of a bird, twice the size of the more common Southern Boobook. There are times when you can find them because of the litter of fruit bat carcasses on the ground. Most often I have found them by clambering underneath the big fig trees until I spot them in the branches above. My favourite time was when they were grooming and there was also a chick present. You really wouldn't want to argue with these animals (or be a local fruit bat)!

Powerful Owl (Ninox strenua)

My last bird is the Rainbow Lorikeet. Anyone visiting eastern Australia (or even watching an Australian TV show) will be familiar with their screeching call as they tear around the place. In the country or urban areas, these birds have no shame. This makes them another victim of familiarity. They are disregarded because they are so common and so noisy. But their plumage is so stunning and their expressions comical and interesting. I cannot resist photographing them whenever I can.

Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus)

eBird Lists

No comments:

Post a Comment