Sunday, October 9, 2022

Mundy Creek, Townsville

Check my birding map for specific location.

A generous local birder, Enrico, volunteered to take me out for the day around the Townsville sites when I first arrived. Local knowledge always makes life easier and Enrico certainly came up with the goods. Our first stop was Mundy Creek. I had seen a lot about this location on Facebook and eBird and was excited to get to this amazing birding location. Turned out to be a bridge over a small creek and some reeds. I was amazed. But hey, if this is where the birds are, who am I to complain? As we crossed the bridge, Enrico spotted our first target straight away. The Little Kingfisher. I had seen some stunning shots of this bird and couldn't believe it was right there. Unfortunately, it wouldn't sit in the sunshine for me but I was just thrilled to get so close to it so early on. 
Little Kingfisher (Ceyx pusillus)

Once the kingfisher had departed, we looked around for anything else. Apparently, White-browed Crake had been seen in the reeds recently. We thought we heard them but didn't see them. Just above where the kingfisher had been sitting, a pair of sunbird arrived and began to search for insects and bugs in the branches. They were so lovely to watch.

Olive-backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis)

We then walked around a pit that had recently filled with water and saw ducks, darter and other birds around it. On the other side of the path was a fence separating us from some fields and we saw some terrific birds perched there. For once the sun shone on all of them and they stayed put as we approached. The most productive bit of wire I have ever met.

Fairy Martin (Petrochelidon ariel)

Golden-headed Cisticola (cisticola exilis)

Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena)

Further along I got my first Zebra Finch and it was great to see them sitting in the sunshine and chatting away to each other.

Zebra Finch (Taeniopygia guttata)

On our return, we were just about to leave when we spotted a pair of Pacific Baza. I am fascinated at how some raptors are so plain in plumage while birds like this seem to have been painted by Dali! We chased them around a bit and they didn't go very far so we were able to get some great shots.



Pacific Baza (Aviceda subcristata)
 
eBird Lists
https://ebird.org/australia/checklist/S108771880
https://ebird.org/australia/checklist/S108765764
https://ebird.org/australia/checklist/S108859243


No comments:

Post a Comment