Saturday, October 15, 2022

Julatten

Check my birding map for specific location. 

I always like Julatten and in 2022 I stayed at the local caravan park on my way to the Daintree. The grounds were nice enough but the whole place was so humid that it was uncomfortable. Most caravan parks have permanent residents and often their caravans have built on living areas. Here they were usually covered in some kind of tarpaulin or canvas. Without exception those were all covered in thick mould, slime and maybe moss? They looked damp and miserable. I was very glad I was only staying overnight. 

Within the grounds were lots of Bar-shouldered Doves. Reasonably common, they can be overlooked but are stunning birds if you look closely at them. I love seeing them and will always try to photograph them.

Bar-shouldered Dove (Geopelia humeralis)

Behind the park was a lane which ran deep into the rainforest. It was wonderful to walk along there and listen to the sounds of the birds. Because I was on a track within the forest, there was a bit more light and the photography easier. All I needed now were some birds. I had been hoping to find the Lovely Fairywren which I had only breifly seen once in Mossman. As soon as I thought that, I then heard fairywren. I hunted around until I found the group and couldn't immediately tell which species it was. I rattled off photos of the females in view and then spotted a familiar dark shape. It was the Red-backed Fairywren. Lovely to see but not what I wanted.

Red-backed Fairywren (Malurus melanocephalus)

I was determined and walked up and down that lane thinking it would be a perfect spot for the Lovelys. All of a sudden, there they were. Their plumage was so distinct that I didn't need to check the photos! The male and female were stunning in their bright blue helmets. 


Lovely Fairywren (Malurus amabilis)

I planned on staying at the park again after I had visited Daintree but my soggy experiences there meant I just wanted to get out of the humidity. It was with huge releif when I descended towards Mareeba to meet the dry air again!

eBird List

No comments:

Post a Comment