Saturday, October 15, 2022

Mareeba

Check my birding map for specific location. 

For as long as I have been visiting Australia, I have loved Mareeba. It is in such a great location with temperate rainforest to the south at Malanda and Millaa Millaa, dry country to the north at Mount Carbine, tropical rainforest to the north west in Julatten and Cairns to the east. Mareeba itself has everything you need in a small town on the edge of the Outback especially sunshine and warm, dry air. 

My favourite place to visit was the Mareeba Wetlands and I was hugely disappointed to realise it has now closed. My first Outback experience was here when I stayed on my own in the reserve in a glamping tent with the front flaps open all night. Bats would zoom around, the Bush Stone Curlew would howl and marsupials of some description would try to raid my bins. I felt very brave. 

Within the reserve I encountered many fabulous creatures. You could walk around the lake on tracks and I would spend my time doing just that. I remember turning a corner and coming face to face with a family of kangaroo. I stopped, as did they. I looked at them and they at me. I took a photo and backed away while they still stood. It was the first time I had really felt that I was in the wilderness.
Eastern Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus)

Another time I ran across a lizard and quickly shot it. Later I identified it as a Frill-necked Lizard. I don't know why I do, but I find it so fascinating to see the different lizards and dragons in different environments. This one, was just stunning. 

Frill-neck Lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii)

One of my favourite photographs from the reserve was when the managers invited me to their deck to see the bird feeders. A group of Double-barred Finch were feeding when suddenly the alarm went up.
Double-barred Finch (Taeniopygia bichenovii)

The road to the wetlands is Pickford Road and is always productive. Driving slowly can net some great birds. There are often bustard in the fields and verges on either side and if you are slow, you can get very close to them.

Australian Bustard (Ardeotis australis)

Red-winged Parrots can also often be seen feeding here. In 2022 I found them on what looked like bushes of weeds. They were just about invisible until flushed. Luckily they returned for my journey back along the road and I was ready for them.


Red-winged Parrot (Aprosmictus erythropterus)

My friend Louise lives in Mareeba and has created the most wonderful environment for birds. A regular visitor and breeder there is the White-browed Robin and it has been a highlight of my 2022 trip to be able to sit and watch them come and go in her garden. Thanks Louise!

White-browed Robin (Poecilodryas superciliosa)

North of Mareeba on the road to Mount Molloy is Lake Mitchell. In previous years, you could drive on a causeway in between the 2 parts of the lake and see some great birds. My favourite experience was when I saw a White-bellied Sea Eagle in the water. I thought the bird must be injured because it didn't seem to be able to lift off the surface. Then, it did and I saw the problem. It was trying to carry off the most huge fish! Struggle it did, but it still got it.   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment