Sunday, October 9, 2022

Ross River Park, Dam and Surrounds

Check my birding map for specific location.

Enrico and I went to the park, dam and surrounding area at Ross River. It was interesting because all 3 places were so different but within a stone's throw of each other. First off we walked through the park and found a young Black Kite, screaming for its parents possibly. 

Black Kite (Milvus migrans)

We walked up to the dam and it was quite amazing with the high walls and expanse of water. Kites and terns were flying along the rim and at times were even below us. Darter and cormorant were drying their wings below us on the water's edge. I returned another time on my own and found a pair of bustard wandering along the walk along the dam wall. I tried to get close but they took off. Because you associate them with being on the ground, it was a surprise to me to see them flying. It also brought home how large they really are.

Australian Bustard (Ardeotis australis)

The roads alongside the dam were equally, if not more, productive. I spotted my first ever Yellow-throated Miner which was very exciting. Enrico and I stalked a young Brown Falcon and this photo remains a favourite of mine. I love the preciseness of its folded wings and the very upright posture. I thought it a stunning bird.

Brown Falcon (Falco berigora)

Rainbow Bee-eaters were all around us, perching on the high wires as well as garden fences. I loved watching this one grooming itself and looking grumpy at the same time. 

Rainbow Bee-eater (Merops ornatus)

Another time, I saw some kites feasting on roadkill here and I wanted to get some good old gory shots like you see with lions and hyenas but once the kites had seen me, they refused to return. The best I could do was get them sitting together in the trees. Interesting comparison of size.
Black and Whistling Kite (Milvus migrans /  Haliastur sphenurus)

Enrico and I were really there for one particular bird - the Red-backed Kingfisher. I didn't really know they existed until this trip and given that kingfishers in general are so glamourous, I was really keen to find one. And we did. Several in fact, several times in different locations. They weren't very co-operative though. This bird kept turning to face us and wouldn't let us get a glimpse of that rusty rear. 

Red-backed Kingfisher (Todiramphus pyrrhopygius)

eBird Lists

No comments:

Post a Comment